Where would great art and craft be without the voice of the poet.
I, of course, am a bit biased when it comes to the hymns of Homer.
X. TO ATHENE
Of Pallas Athene, the saviour of cities, I begin to sing; dread Goddess,who with Ares takes keep of the works of war, and of falling cities, and battles, and the battle din. She it is that saveth the hosts as they go and return from the fight. Hail Goddess, and give to us happiness and good fortune.
XXVII. TO ATHENE
Of fairest Athene, renowned Goddess, I begin to sing, of the Grey-eyed,the wise; her of the relentless heart, the maiden revered, the succour ofcities, the strong Tritogeneia. Her did Zeus the counsellor himself beget from his holy head, all armed for war in shining golden mail, whilein awe did the other Gods behold it. Quickly did the Goddess leap from the immortal head, and stood before Zeus, shaking her sharp spear, andhigh Olympus trembled in dread beneath the strength of the grey-eyedMaiden, while earth rang terribly around, and the sea was boiling withdark waves, and suddenly brake forth the foam. Yea, and the glorious sonof Hyperion checked for long his swift steeds, till the maiden took fromher immortal shoulders her divine armour, even Pallas Athene: and Zeus the counsellor rejoiced. Hail to thee, thou child of aegis-bearing Zeus,anon shall I be mindful of thee and of another lay.
Thursday, March 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment